AdGear is a Montreal-based advertising technology company that has been acquired by Samsung Electronics in 2016 and now part of Samsung Ads. Samsung Ads provides the holistic view advertisers need, in one platform that captures and connects real-time TV behaviors. With the largest, most powerful source of TV data, Samsung Ads delivers reach that scales and drives results.
AdGear, is building a next generation ad platform for the new era of digital marketing. Our teams in Canada, the USA and Asia are working in close collaboration to develop a powerful end-to-end cross-media buying platform that will reinvent digital display advertising.
What makes this job meaningful?
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced, high performing software engineer to join our core engineering team. You’ll work alongside our Chief Architect, Product Managers, and Engineering Managers. You’ll contribute to architecture decisions, mentor and level up engineers.
As a Senior Application Engineer & Architect, you will be working with the Samsung Ads Product and Engineering teams to ensure that that platform as a whole, and its key individual components, are built to operate at high performance, availability and maintainability standards. You will be key in proposing and driving the vision and approach for updating key web applications and building new components, documenting the architecture at various granularities, and guiding and supporting the development, acceptance and productionization.
Relevant advertising industry experience is useful, but ultimately less so than your demonstrated abilities and attitude.
Why You’ll Be Motivated To Apply…
- Lead a re-architecting effort of a large Ruby on Rails monolith application to nimbler components, using a mix of soft logical constraints, hard microservice splits, and other approaches
- Architecting new components and systems based on internal requirements, with appropriate mix of top-down declaration and bottom-up collaboration
- Re-architecting existing components to address growth/performance/scalability challenges, including migration and change management
- Analyzing and constructively critiquing architectures and designs by peers
- Research and evaluation of best-of-breed technologies to inform architecture decisions, especially build-vs-buy and cost/benefit analysis
- Maintaining up-to-date architecture documentation and flows as it relates to components, data, and their interdependencies
- Providing consultancy and guidance to engineering teams as they build and/or evaluate components
- Provide consultancy during component testing and productionization to ensure fidelity against agreed-on architecture and acceptance criteria
- Providing consultancy and guidance to non-engineering teams, such as product, privacy and governance, regarding component and data behaviors and characteristics
- Participate in internal training to improve knowledge of both existing components and general architecture best-practices
You Will Be Well Set To CRUSH This Role If…
- You are passionate about software development
- 3+ years of development experience on large Ruby on Rails web/API applications
- At least 1 year working with architecture responsibilities, laying out logical and technical guidance for development teams
- Strong experience with OLTP Databases (PostgreSQL preferred), including zero-downtime paradigms w.r.t. schema and application changes
- Strong experience designing APIs (GraphQL preferred), including safety, change management, effective versioning and depreciation
- Strong experience with microservice architectures, especially if consolidated into a single unified web-facing view
- Strong expertise across broad computer science fundamentals: Hardware, operating systems, software, data structures, and networking
- Exceptionally strong communicator, especially in ability to discuss low-level engineering-facing details and high-level product-facing attributes
- Comfortable presenting and obtaining consensus using multiple methods: Written diagrams and text, in-person meetings, in-person and remote presentations, including occasional cross-office travel
- Hands-on experience and comfort with classical Software Development Life Cycle
- Hands-on experience with modern SDLC tooling including source control, reviewing, CI and CD
- Extremely high level of attention to detail
- A “can-do” attitude
- You have a track record of making things better, questioning and improving the status quo
- You enjoy working with others who are smart and passionate about building useful, reliable, performant products
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Ability to work autonomously, multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
Location and working conditions
While our employees are currently working remotely, and before any return to our beautiful office located downtown Montreal, we are taking extra cared steps to ensure a smooth experience for any new employee joining our wonderful organization:
- Tailored virtual onboarding plan sent prior to your start date
- IT equipment & Samsung Ads Welcome Swag kit delivered to your doorstep
We have adapted our benefits & perks as currently the following:
- 100% Company-paid comprehensive health & dental coverage
- Personal spending account & Healthcare spending account with Sun Life
- Competitive compensation package, including performance incentive bonus plan based on company, team and personal objectives
- Minimum start of 16 vacation days with additional flex days
- Access to a virtual care platform (wellness, medical & nutrition)
- Access to employee assistance program
- Travel, Life, and Short/Long term disability Insurance
- Group RRSP Matching Program up to 5%
- Monthly virtual social committee-lead activities (games night, happy hour, health challenges, etc.)
- Virtual companies get togethers (demo days, Town Halls, and more!)
- Virtual yoga once per week
- Open source days for software engineers
- Employee Referral Program
- Perkopolis website with great rebates, coupons and promotions
- Amazing discounts through Samsung Employee Discounts website
What can you expect for your interview process?
Below is what it looks like from start to finish. Our promise is to keep communication open the entire way so you always know where you stand.
- A 30min Pre Screen with our fabulous TA team.
- A 1 hour Technical Interview via Webex with our Chief Architect
- A 1 hour Interview with our Director of Software Practice via Webex.
We’ll use this time to make sure you possess the minimum skills we think are required to accomplish the key objectives.
- 2 hour meet in-depth Technical Interview or technical test to complete in your home.
We’ll dig into how you would go about accomplishing the objectives we shared for the role and your past experience doing similar work.
- And finally, the Offer presentation with HR and the Hiring Manager. Welcome to the team!
About AdGear culture…
- We promote autonomy, ownership, and accountability. Everyone is a leader at Samsung Ads, taking initiative with confidence.
- Our differences make a difference, and we are part of a collaborative team that values different opinions, thoughts, and ideas.
- We conduct ourselves with mutual respect, authenticity, and empathy. We act with thoughtful intention to make the right decisions
- We are dynamic individuals who care about results. We celebrate the hard work and recognize achievements. We love what we do.
- We embrace the open source movement and actively support the open source community
- We foster a culture of teamwork and ideation, and embrace challenges through a creative and innovative approach.