AdGear (belonging to the Samsung Ads business), is an Advertising Technology Company located in the heart of Old Montreal. AdGear focuses on enabling brands to connect with Samsung TV audiences as they are exposed to digital media across all devices. Being part of an international company such as Samsung and doing business around the world means that we get to work on big complex projects with stakeholders and teams located around the globe.
Samsung has developed a proprietary ad platform that leverages unique first-party TV data to help brands connect to their audience as they explore content across desktop, mobile, tablets and our Smart TVs. The Samsung Ad Platform delivers high-quality audience targeting powered by three key components: first-party audience data at scale, world-class data science, and brand-safe cross-device ad inventory.
About Reporting and Insights
Our group is responsible for developing a cohesive set of powerful reporting & insights features to empower our service and analytics teams, as well as inform our customers. Our playground includes reporting facilities and dashboards to serve both internal and external users as well as various ETL pipelines ingesting 1 terabyte of data per hour, around the clock.
Our tech stack includes a mixture of Java/Scala/Akka, Spark, Hive, AWS Athena, EMR, Vertica, Kafka, Airflow, Concourse, Docker and Kubernetes.
About your Role
As a Data Engineer, you will be designing and developing ETLs and data processing pipelines at scale. As a consequence, there will be opportunities to contribute to open source, conduct research and development, review code, participate in shaping our engineering practices and share knowledge. You will work with some incredibly talented and passionate developers within an engineering team with a strong technological background. You will also interact on a day-to-day basis with software engineers, scrum masters and product owners.
In this position, the chosen candidate is expected to have a hands-on, problem-solving approach and a friendly human-facing side to communicate and manage expectations.
- Develop and maintain ETL pipelines
- Develop and maintain streaming jobs
- Develop and maintain data extraction tools (REST API clients)
- Occasionally provide ad hoc data
NICE TO HAVE SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Prior experience in a similar role
- Experience in Java, Scala, Python, Bash, C, etc.
- Solid understanding of Unix/Linux systems
- Prior experience in streaming technologies like Akka, Kafka or Spark Streaming
- Prior experience in Airflow
- Prior experience in working in a Agile environment
- Good communication skills and capacity/willingness to work in a multi-teams environment.
- Be resourceful, inventive and passionate
- You are eager to challenge the status quo and willing to learn new programming languages
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and resolve problems in a timely manner;
- Ability to work autonomously, multi-task and work in a fast-paced and stressful environment;
- Be proactive, addressing potential problems before they occur;
- Attention to detail;
- Problem-solving outlook, can-do attitude is a must
Location and working conditions
While our employees are currently working remotely, and before any return to our beautiful office located downtown Montreal, we are taking extra cared steps to ensure a smooth experience for any new employee joining our wonderful organization:
- Tailored virtual onboarding plan sent prior to your start date
- IT equipment & Samsung Ads Welcome Swag kit delivered to your doorstep
We have adapted our benefits & perks as currently the following:
- 100% Company-paid comprehensive health & dental coverage
- Personal spending account & Healthcare spending account with Sun Life
- Competitive compensation package, including performance incentive bonus plan based on company, team and personal objectives
- Minimum start of 16 vacation days with additional flex days
- Access to a virtual care platform (wellness, medical & nutrition)
- Access to employee assistance program
- Travel, Life, and Short/Long term disability Insurance
- Group RRSP Matching Program up to 5%
- Monthly virtual social committee-lead activities (games night, happy hour, health challenges, etc.)
- Virtual companies get togethers (demo days, Town Halls, and more!)
- Virtual yoga once per week
- Open source days for software engineers
- Employee Referral Program
- Perkopolis website with great rebates, coupons and promotions
- Amazing discounts through Samsung Employee Discounts website
What can you expect for your interview process?
Below is what it looks like from start to finish. Our promise is to keep communication open the entire way so you always know where you stand.
- A 30 min Pre Screen with our fabulous TA team.
- A 1 hour Culture Interview via Webex with our Engineering Manager and a team member.
We’ll use this time to simply get to know you as a person and hear more about your work experience. Some more technical questions may be asked to make sure you possess the minimum skills we think are required to accomplish the key objectives.
- And finally, the Offer presentation with HR and the Hiring Manager. Welcome to the team!
About AdGear culture…
- We promote autonomy, ownership, and accountability. Everyone is a leader at Samsung Ads, taking initiative with confidence.
- Our differences make a difference, and we are part of a collaborative team that values different opinions, thoughts, and ideas.
- We conduct ourselves with mutual respect, authenticity, and empathy. We act with thoughtful intention to make the right decisions
- We are dynamic individuals who care about results. We celebrate the hard work and recognize achievements. We love what we do.
- We embrace the open source movement and actively support the open source community
- We foster a culture of teamwork and ideation, and embrace challenges through a creative and innovative approach.