Located in the heart of downtown Montreal, AdGear is an advertising technology startup that is now part of Samsung Electronics. We work on complex technical challenges at an increasingly impressive scale, addressing hundreds of millions of devices across the world. Being part of an international company and doing business around the world means that we get to work on big, complex projects with stakeholders and teams in Silicon Valley, Korea and Europe.
As our infrastructure and business continue to grow, we are looking to expand our SRE team.
What you’ll do
The AdGear Site Reliability Engineer is a software engineer responsible for ensuring that the AdGear platform's services are designed, implemented, deployed, and operated such that they are highly available, highly performing, and scalable.
The ideal candidate for the Site Reliability Engineer position typically self-identifies as a "hacker", who is both a "jack of all trades" as well as possesses deep knowledge in multiple areas of software development, Linux/unix systems administration, networking, internet protocols, databases, and distributed systems. The ideal candidate has a mix of software development and infrastructure operations skills, and approaches infrastructure operations from the perspective of a software engineer.
Relevant industry experience is important, but ultimately less so than your demonstrated abilities and attitude.
You will work with some incredibly talented and passionate developers within an engineering team with a strong technological background as well as working in a small team of SREs, supporting a medium-sized team of software engineers working on building the next generation of AdGear's administrative interfaces, ad decisioning, delivery, data processing and analytics systems.
This is us: https://github.com/adgear/team
In this position, the chosen candidate is expected to have a hands-on, problem-solving approach and a friendly human-facing side to communicate and manage expectations.
- Co-architect new services, including failure tolerance and self-healing by-design, as well as establishing clear scaling-out paths
- Evaluating and benchmarking new solutions, establishing capacity and growth plans
- Implementing deployment and configuration strategies for new services, including provisioning resources, and go-live
- Administration of services, whether built in-house or from external vendors
- Continuous optimization of services on all layers (hardware, software) for high performance
- Continuous improvement of internal services for ease of packaging, configuration and deployment
- Monitoring of all critical services, sharing pager duty, troubleshooting and addressing problems as they arise (including any needed changes in code, topology, resources, or configuration)
- Backups/DR implementation, plans, documentation and exercises
- Co-own technical relationships with several service providers and vendors
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Full competency in at least 1 software development language (Java, Erlang, C/C++, Ruby)
- Full competency in at least 1 supporting language (Bash, SQL)
- Strong linux system administration and troubleshooting skills, including strong knowledge of how the various components work (kernel, CPU, memory, disk, network)
- Experience with container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)"
- Strong understanding of distributed systems and client server architectures
- Strong network skills and experience with Service meshes
- Experience working in a micro services environment
- Experience implementing CI and CD for both apps and operations
- Experience with database systems and data pipelines (batch, real-time & hybrid)
- Familiarity with configuration management systems, containers, VMs
- Familiarity with distributed multi-datacenter 24/7 web systems
- Good communication skills and capacity/willingness to work in a multi-teams environment.
- Be resourceful, inventive and passionate about technologies.
- You are eager to challenge the status quo and willing to learn new programming languages
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and resolve problems in a timely manner;
- Ability to work autonomously, multi-task and work in a fast-paced and stressful environment;
- Be proactive, addressing potential problems before they occur;
- Strong attention to detail;
- You have a track record of making things better and leading solutions that remove technical pain points and facilitate growth
- You enjoy working with others who are smart and passionate about building useful, reliable, performant products
- Excellent communication skills in English; French is an asset.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Competitive compensation package
- Company outings, roasts, and many more interesting things
- Virtual yoga in the office once a week
- Referral bonus
- Great rebates, coupons and promotions through Perkopolis
- Amazing discounts through Samsung Employee Discounts web site
- 100% Company-paid comprehensive extended health & dental coverage
- Travel, Life, and Short/Long term disability Insurance
- Group RRSP Matching Program up to 5%