AdGear (belonging to the Samsung Ads business), is an Advertising Technology Company located in the heart of Montreal. AdGear focuses on enabling brands to connect with Samsung TV audiences as they are exposed to digital media across all devices. Being part of an international company such as Samsung and doing business around the world means that we get to work on big complex projects with stakeholders and teams located around the globe.
Samsung has developed a proprietary ad platform that leverages unique first party TV data to help brands connect to their audience as they explore content across desktop, mobile, tablets and our SMART TVs. The Samsung Ad Platform delivers high-quality audience targeting powered by three key components: first-party audience data at scale, world-class data science, and brand-safe cross-device ad inventory.
What you’ll do
The Data Scientist in this position possesses a combination of both software engineering and research/analytical skills. The ideal candidate has some software engineering skills, and thrives on asking “what if ?”. This means developing ad-hoc queries/tooling/investigations to answer business/technical/efficiency questions that are outside of the day-to-day scope of most product feature work.
The position sits at the intersection of the Product, and Engineering. You will help with asking the right questions and answering them rigorously. You’ll work closely with Product Managers to understand their goals and proactively inform their direction with data and provide guidance to the engineers and prototyping various solutions.
Relevant advertising industry experience is useful, but ultimately less so than your demonstrated abilities and attitude.
- Analysis of raw data within Samsung Ads ecosystems
- Analysis of market and ecosystem metrics, producing insights, recommendations and distilling best-practices
- Provide quantitative analysis and strategic insights to make smart, data-driven decisions
- Support product managers by conducting preliminary & exploratory analysis towards roadmap items
- Educating team members and customers on strategies and best practices
- Software development, using various APIs, for ad-hoc reports, dashboards, projects, and process automations
REQUIRED SKILLS AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- University degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of relevant working experience as a data analyst
- String Mathematical & statistical skills
- Strong SQL Skills, ability to perform effective querying and analysis of data from multiple sources.
- Full competency in at least 1 software development language (Python/R/etc…), including a solid grasp of computer science fundamentals
- Experience analyzing and manipulating data in various formats – plain text or binary, output streams, SQL databases, Big Data warehouses such as HDFS/S3, Kafka
- Experience as end-user on linux servers, including starting jobs, scheduling, monitoring output, etc…
- Experience doing data extraction, transformation, and reporting using various low-level and high-level tools
- Experience with creating new, experimental framework to collect data
- Experience with source control system, ideally git
- Experiencing producing data visualizations, presenting and discussing findings
- High level of attention to detail
- The ability to distill complex subjects and data into compelling and understandable writeups
- Quick learner, critical thinker and analytical problem solver
- You have a track record of making things better, questioning and improving the status quo
- You enjoy working with others who are smart and passionate about building useful, reliable, performant products
- Experience with AWS and related services (e.g. Athena, Lambda, Airflow, EC2)
- Proficiency in multiple flavours of SQL (Postgres, RedShift, etc)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly
- A "can-do" attitude
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Ability to work autonomously, multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
Location and working conditions
While our employees are currently working remotely, and before any return to our beautiful office located downtown Montreal, we are taking extra cared steps to ensure a smooth experience for any new employee joining our wonderful organization:
- Tailored virtual onboarding plan sent prior to your start date
- IT equipment & Samsung Ads Welcome Swag kit delivered to your doorstep
We have adapted our benefits & perks as currently the following:
- 100% Company-paid comprehensive health & dental coverage
- Personal spending account & Healthcare spending account with Sun Life
- Competitive compensation package, including performance incentive bonus plan based on company, team and personal objectives
- Minimum start of 16 vacation days with additional flex days
- Access to a virtual care platform (wellness, medical & nutrition)
- Access to employee assistance program
- Travel, Life, and Short/Long term disability Insurance
- Group RRSP Matching Program up to 5%
- Monthly virtual social committee-lead activities (games night, happy hour, health challenges, etc.)
- Virtual companies get togethers (demo days, Town Halls, and more!)
- Virtual yoga once per week
- Open source days for software engineers
- Employee Referral Program
- Perkopolis website with great rebates, coupons and promotions
- Amazing discounts through Samsung Employee Discounts website
About AdGear culture…
- We promote autonomy, ownership, and accountability. Everyone is a leader at Samsung Ads, taking initiative with confidence.
- Our differences make a difference, and we are part of a collaborative team that values different opinions, thoughts, and ideas.
- We conduct ourselves with mutual respect, authenticity, and empathy. We act with thoughtful intention to make the right decisions
- We are dynamic individuals who care about results. We celebrate the hard work and recognize achievements. We love what we do.