AdGear is a Montreal-based advertising technology company that has been acquired by Samsung Electronics in 2016 and now part of Samsung Ads. Samsung Ads provides the holistic view advertisers need, in one platform that captures and connects real-time TV behaviors. With the largest, most comprehensive source of TV data, Samsung Ads delivers reach that scales and drives results.
AdGear is building a next generation ad platform for the new era of digital marketing. Our teams in Canada, the USA and Asia are working in close collaboration to develop a powerful end-to-end cross-media buying platform that will reinvent digital display advertising.
About Reporting and Insights
Our group is responsible for developing a cohesive set of powerful reporting & insights features to empower our service and analytics teams, as well as inform our customers. Our playground includes reporting facilities and dashboards to serve both internal and external users as well as various ETL pipelines ingesting 1 terabyte of data per hour, around the clock.
Our tech stack includes a mixture of Java/, Scala, Python, Rails, Typescript, Concourse, Docker and Kubernetes.
The reporting UI is part of a web application built with Typescript/React on top of a Rails/GraphQL API and PostgreSQL database.
The reporting API is written in Java, built on Dropwizard, and uses PostgreSQL as a backing database (alongside Vertica).
The Reporting & Insights domain is responsible for, obviously, providing reports and insights to our many users through either our reporting API or web UI. More specifically, we focus on extracting trends, metrics and insights from raw event logs and presenting them in a user-friendly manner. We work hard on maintaining our codebase but also on finding new ways of improving our stack for more efficient, complete and accurate reports based on the latest data available. After all, our users are counting on us to provide them with clear insights on how well their advertising campaigns are doing so they can make the right decisions and quick adjustments when necessary.
The software Engineer is responsible for designing, building, deploying, and maintaining components of a high-volume, distributed real-time bidding platform. This involves measuring and tuning high-performance, low-latency (soft-real-time) systems while working towards improved robustness and correctness. As a consequence, there will be opportunities to contribute to open source, conduct research and development, review code, participate in shaping our engineering practices and share knowledge. You will also interact on a day-to-day basis with data engineers, UX/UI designers, scrum masters and product owners.
Why You’ll Be Motivated To Apply…
- You will be working with experienced, passionate software developers as part of the Report & Insights group within a broader engineering organization with a strong technical culture.
- You will put your skills to good use and have the chance to learn or gain more knowledge of other programming languages
- You enjoy building things.
- You value craftsmanship in software.
- You enjoy reading code, and you're probably in the habit of reading the source for your dependencies. You love collaborating with and mentoring others.
You Will Be Well Set To CRUSH This Role If…
- You have deep knowledge and hands on experience with React.js and Typescript
- Some knowledge and experience with Java would be considered a big plus
- Have a solid foundation in software engineering and web development
- Mentor and grow the team through various channels (code review, talks, discussions, etc.)
- Participate in setting the direction of our technology stack to improve performance, scalability, testability and maintainability
- Participate in all engineering practices across the software development lifecycle including design, estimates, ... , peer reviews, test automation,
- Criticize and improve our development processes and methodologies, while getting involved in and participate actively to the Scrum ceremonies
- Flesh out and iterate on requirements in collaboration with the product team
- Experience managing code + pipelines and Docker are going to be a huge help.
- You are passionate about what you do, you are a motivated self-starter and always learning and developing.
- Given a complex 3-month long body of work you would be able to break that down into work units, estimate accurately, plan the work and execute it precisely within the expectations you’ve set with your team. You know you can do this because you’ve done it before.
Location and working conditions
While our employees are currently working remotely, and before any return to our beautiful office located downtown Montreal, we are taking extra cared steps to ensure a smooth experience for any new employee joining our wonderful organization:
- Tailored virtual onboarding plan sent prior to your start date
- IT equipment & Samsung Ads Welcome Swag kit delivered to your doorstep
We have adapted our benefits & perks as currently the following:
- 100% Company-paid comprehensive health & dental coverage
- Personal spending account & Healthcare spending account with Sun Life
- Competitive compensation package, including performance incentive bonus plan based on company, team and personal objectives
- Minimum start of 16 vacation days with additional flex days
- Access to a virtual care platform (wellness, medical & nutrition)
- Access to employee assistance program
- Travel, Life, and Short/Long term disability Insurance
- Group RRSP Matching Program up to 5%
- Monthly virtual social committee-lead activities (games night, happy hour, health challenges, etc.)
- Virtual companies get togethers (demo days, Town Halls, and more!)
- Virtual yoga once per week
- Open source days for software engineers
- Employee Referral Program
- Perkopolis website with great rebates, coupons and promotions
- Amazing discounts through Samsung Employee Discounts website
What can you expect for your interview process?
Below is what it looks like from start to finish. Our promise is to keep communication open the entire way so you always know where you stand.
- A 30 min Pre Screen with our fabulous TA team.
- A 1 hour Culture Interview via Webex with our Engineering Manager and a team member.
We’ll use this time to simply get to know you as a person and hear more about your work experience. Some more technical questions may be asked to make sure you possess the minimum skills we think are required to accomplish the key objectives.
- And finally, the Offer presentation with HR and the Hiring Manager. Welcome to the team!
About AdGear culture…
- We promote autonomy, ownership, and accountability. Everyone is a leader at Samsung Ads, taking initiative with confidence.
- Our differences make a difference, and we are part of a collaborative team that values different opinions, thoughts, and ideas.
- We conduct ourselves with mutual respect, authenticity, and empathy. We act with thoughtful intention to make the right decisions
- We are dynamic individuals who care about results. We celebrate the hard work and recognize achievements. We love what we do.
- We embrace the open source movement and actively support the open source community
- We foster a culture of teamwork and ideation, and embrace challenges through a creative and innovative approach.
Apply now by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at adgear.com